- Operate on the University’s fiscal calendar of July 1 – June 30.
- Have a Chapter Leadership Committee consisting of a minimum of four members. One member must serve as President of the Chapter. Titles and roles of the three additional members are at the discretion of the planning committee.
- The Leadership Committee should be appointed by June 30 for the upcoming fiscal year and approved by the Alumni Association.
- Appoint a committee member (typically the President) to serve as the liaison for the Alumni Association.
- Propose a preliminary annual calendar of events to the Alumni Association by August 31.
- Hold two executive committee meetings with Alumni Association staff in attendance.
- Any additional committee meetings must be placed on the Alumni Association calendar in advance and a post meeting summary reported back to the Alumni Association within two weeks.
- All chapter activity must be sent to the Alumni Association to be placed on the WKUAA calendar of events.
- Submit a mid-year chapter report www.alumni.wku.edu/chapterreport to the WKU Alumni Association by January 31 and a year-end report by June 30.
- If chapter activity is ever in question, the Alumni Association has the right to schedule mandatory meetings with the executive committee, eliminate chapter funding, and cease the chapter’s existence as an official WKU alumni group.
Alumni Association Provides Alumni Chapters:
- An Alumni Association Program Coordinator to assist with chapter coordination but also to ensure that chapter activity is being conducted in a manner consistent with the goals and mission of WKU.
- Alumni Association Program Coordinator to attend certain events annually.
- Every effort will be made to have WKUAA representation at large chapter events, but AA attendance will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Event Calendar – The Alumni Association will provide an online calendar for all chapter activity.
- The Alumni Association will design and send email invitations (no limit on number of emails) from our office, as long as information is received in a timely manner.
- One event mailing (self mailer/invitation in envelope/newsletter format) annually for area Alumni Association members only.
- Annual Chapter tool kit, consisting of nametags, table tents, and 50 custom chapter red towels.
- WKUAA will request student ambassadors for events (SAA and Spirit Masters), Big Red, Wally, and University speakers and coaches for chapter functions but cannot guarantee their attendance. The Alumni Association will pay for all expenses associated with these requests.
- For charged events, credit cards MUST be run through WKUAA’s online reservation system or with the Virtual Merchant mobile device. For security, credit card information will NOT be accepted on paper.
- For events with registration, WKUAA will coordinate registrations/financials and supply reports to chapter committee members on request.
- Once all necessary information is collected, a check will be processed within two weeks of the event and mailed to the specified alumni chapter member.
- WKUAA will provide a Volunteer Section in each issue of WKU SPIRIT magazine. Alumni Chapters may use that space to feature upcoming events or chapter news.
Official Alumni Chapters receive an annual budget from the WKU Alumni Association for programming needs. The WKUAA must approve the use of the funding prior to spending. Chapters do not receive a check for the events; however, upon spending approval from the Alumni Association, WKUAA will pay invoices up to the budgeted amount for chapter programs from the Bowling Green office.
- Chapters holding 1-2 approved events per year receive $500 annually.
- Chapters holding 3-4 approved events per year receive $1000 annually.
- Chapters holding 5 or more approved events per year receive $2000 annually.
*If the Alumni Association initiates and hosts an event in a chapter area, all funding for the event will be covered by the Alumni Association.
Chapter Awards and Recognition
Chapter members are invited to the annual Summit Awards Volunteer Recognition Banquet held on Thursday evening of Homecoming week. This event allows WKU to properly thank the hundreds of volunteers who give their time to the betterment of the University.
Alumni Chapters are recognized through special awards for events held in their community the previous fiscal year. The Alumni Association chooses the awards from the mid-year and annual report provided by the chapter and from first-hand account of the actual events.
Social Media “Webby” Award
This award is given to any alumni group that has distinguished itself through an exceptional communications program. This includes website, Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and/or other applicable links in the nomination form. A program award of $500 will be given to the winning group to be used in future programming.
This award is given to any alumni group that has distinguished itself through an outstanding social program or event. A program award of $500 will be given to the winning group to be used in future programming.
This award is given to any alumni group that has distinguished itself through an exceptional membership program or event that supports the membership campaign of the Alumni Association. A program award of $500 will be given to the winning group to be used in future programming.
Spirit of Service Award
The award recognizes an exemplary national service project and encourages innovative ideas in existing programs as well as new projects. A project award of $500 will be given to the winning group to be used in future programming.
This award is given to any alumni group that has distinguished itself through an exceptional new and innovative program or event. A program award of $500 will be given to the winning group to be used in future programming.
Scholarship & Fundraising Award
This award is given to any affiliate group that has distinguished itself through an outstanding scholarship/fundraising program or event. A program award of $500 will be given to the winning group to be used in future programming.
Student Interaction Award
This award is given to any alumni group that has distinguished itself through outstanding student support and interaction. A program award of $500 will be given to the winning group to be used in future programming.
Young Alumni Involvement Award
This award is given to any alumni group that has distinguished itself through an outstanding program or event that specifically targets, reaches, and increases recruitment and participation in the Alumni Association and alumni group for our young alumni population (10 years or less since graduation). A program award of $500 will be given to the winning group to be used in future programming.
WKU ALUMNI CHAPTERS
Barren County Alumni Chapter
Bryan Baysinger ('93)
Glasgow, KY 42141
(270) 590-5368 (H)
(270) 651-2663 (W)
Greater Louisville Alumni Chapter
Kathleen Overton ('95)
Louisville, KY 40241
Hartland Alumni Chapter
Brent Ditto ('02)
Music City Alumni Chapter
Matt Coleman ('01, '03)
Northern Kentucky Alumni Chapter
Bev Furnish Humphrey ('72, '74)
Park Hills, KY
(859) 620-0518 (H)
Owensboro Alumni Chapter
1847 Stratford Dr.
Owensboro, KY 42301-3564